Nav Bar

Monday, January 20, 2014

Losing sight: it's okay

I have a confession to make.

I have already broken a few of my New Years' "resolutions."

But you know what? It's okay.

It's okay because the "resolutions" we choose - or don't choose - to make each year are simply our own. We make our own rules in life, and I hereby decree that it's okay to "break" my resolutions - there is no limit on my picking myself up and simply starting over. I am only human, and I will never be perfect.

This weekend has brought me to the realization that I have lost sight of some simply beautiful things in my life. I have been so wrapped up in little petty things and meaningless "problems" that I have forgotten how incredibly lucky I am. I have fueled my perceived unhappiness by worrying needlessly about my own little issues and have ignored the people I love. I have been so wrapped up in me that I have forgotten to take a step back and ask how the people that I love - and the people that make me, me - are doing, what they're feeling, and how things are going.

So learn from my mistakes and don't get so wrapped up in you that you forget about the important things, like the people who truly make you you. Don't focus on the petty things that are fleeting - and probably don't mean anything - and take a cue from this fantastically weird sculpture in downtown Dallas...


Keep your eyes open and don't "lose sight" of what's really important in life. The little worries that seem to pop up intermittently are probably not going to be relevant next week - or even tomorrow - so don't dwell on them. The irritation that you feel for an afternoon is probably not going to persist in the morning, so don't focus on it and add fuel to the fire. The tinge of sadness that creeps into your mind as you sit alone in your room on a weekend night is probably not justified, so don't let it fester and turn into something crippling that causes you to lose a day of happiness. Life's too short to "sweat the petty things," so don't.

Instead, when you're feeling down or worried or apprehensive because of some little things, take a deep breath, think of something that makes you feel incredibly lucky to be living the life that you're living (like your family, your friends, your pet, your environment, or hell, even something silly like that stupid stuffed animal that you've had since you were six), and revel in how beautiful things can be.

And well, if that doesn't work, there's no shame in eating Moose Track ice cream from the carton with your best friend while you both bemoan the crappy weekend you had. Like I mentioned before - I'm only human.

xx
ola

No comments:

Post a Comment