Nav Bar

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Don't be afraid to date yourself

This past Friday, I took myself out on a date.

I pulled on my favorite comfy sweater, wrapped a warm scarf around my neck, packed my wallet, phone, keys, and camera into my bag, and drove to the Kimbell Art Museum. I was a lady and paid for my own ticket and viewed the beautiful works displayed within the museum with admiration and thoughtfulness. I revisited some of my favorite pieces, and rediscovered some new ones that were part of a limited-time exhibit.


I explored the museum thoughtfully, and took my time examining any and everything that caught my eye. I took - and saw - photographs, and I remembered why I love my camera so much. I stepped outside into the sculpture garden to have a private moment, and I let my mind run free. After I had finished my journey through the museum's invigorating exhibits, I stepped into the gift shop, but found nothing that I really wanted to treat myself with (though rest assured, I would have because I deserve it).

It was incredibly rejuvenating.

I believe that having a few lonely moments in public is truly underrated. When was the last time you went out to a restaurant alone and treated yourself to a tasty meal? When was the last time you went to the movie theatre alone and enjoyed a quality film? When was the last time you walked through a park alone, appreciating the natural beauty surrounding you? I'll bet that the answer to all of the following questions is probably a resounding never.

And that's okay.

It's simply a product of our innate human desires. Psychologists have agreed for years that part of fundamental human psychology is our deep-rooted desire to belong. We are all social animals - even those of us who are incredibly introverted. We need companionship and we need others to like us. We thrive off of human interaction and ostracism can have incredibly detrimental effects on our mental well-being.

That being said...

We don't need companionship all the time. Sometimes, we just need to be alone.


Sometimes, we need a moment - or a few - to ourselves. We need to sit back, we need to breathe, and we need to let our minds wander. We need to enjoy our own company and remember who we are - not who we are around others.

Honestly, I find that the best moments of insight I have into myself - who I am, what I believe, what I stand for, what I hope for - occur when I am alone. The ability to let my mind run free in simple peace and quiet allows me to take a mental breather and reacquaint myself with the person that I have known, loved, hated, cried with, and laughed with the longest of anyone else - myself. You are the most important person in your life, and you're stuck with you forever.

So I challenge you - take yourself out on a date. Wine and dine yourself. Learn about your hopes, your dreams, and your fears. Reacquaint yourself with you.

And, most importantly, learn to love yourself (more).

xx
ola

No comments:

Post a Comment